Home

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Metro is Dropping my Favourite Grocery Brand

I just read that Metro is "dropping the Loeb, A&P, Dominion and other brand names."

As someone who lives in Ontario, I barely know what the heck "Metro" is. I've never shopped for groceries at "Metro." (Except once, I think. Perhaps I was in Hull?) I like shopping at Loeb. In fact, I really like shopping at Loeb - more so than at, say, Loblaws. Loeb, to me, is an established brand. It's earned my business, over and above the competition. Metro, obviously, has not.

As the article points out, it seems like the move is in response to big chain retailers like Wal-Mart beginning to offer discounted food and beverage products. And I'll admit, the idea of unifying Metro's brand does make a lot of sense.

It's pretty tough to compete with stores that can offer lower prices than you. But as a consumer, I know I'm actually willing to pay a bit more to shop at a grocery store I like, such as Loeb. It's silly, sure, but I just can't stand being in a Wal-Mart. I don't want to navigate through the office supply section or the clothing section when I'm looking for groceries. It's a pain.

If Metro can rebrand their stores in such a way so as to keep my trust, then kudos to them. Either way, it'll be interesting to see the new national brand develop.