Home

Friday, November 14, 2008

Apple Marketing and Advertising Thinks Different

If you know me, I, like many people, have probably blathered on about how great Apple's advertising is. I've probably already blogged about it. Well, I'm going to blog about it some more, because it really is fantastic.

The best part? The advertising is reflected in the products. Take a look at this image of an apple keyboard:



Now look at the box:

There are no headlines all over screaming about discounts, deals, or features I don't really care about. The image conveys the product's main selling point better than any pile of headlines ever could. It's what differentiates Apple from other advertisers out there. Other advertisers like, oh, I don't know, Microsoft.

YouTube user "fredandgus" (Fred and Gus? Users perhaps?) asks the question: what would happen if Microsoft designed the iPod package, and got rid of the simplicity that makes it so unique?

Microsoft Designs the iPod Package:


Yes, Apple advertising has come a long way since the old days of the Apple II. Remember the old days? Well, the Internet certainly does. Check out this old Apple ad:


Browsing through their old ads really is fun. I particularly like the old "Think different." black and white ads.


I wonder how old Steve Jobs was when Albert Einstein signed up to be in an Apple ad. Negative 3 years old?


And, finally, who could forget everyone's favourite 1984 Apple riff?



The only thing I don't like about Apple are their white earbud earphones. They just don't stay in my ear! Steve Jobs, if you're reading this, help a guy out. Design some non-earbud Apple earphones for your iPods.

Please and thanks.

Your pal, Mike.