Home

Monday, April 6, 2009

Pixar continually defies Hollywood's "rules"

Up, the upcoming Pixar movie, is about a 78 year old man. There is no love interest. It ignores typical Hollywood formula. And it's probably going to be awesome and it's probably going to do great at the box office.

The New York Times has an interesting article on the subject titled, Pixar's Art Leaves Profit Watchers Edgy. It seems that after nine films, people still worry that because Pixar ignores Hollywood cliches and formula, its films won't make a profit. I suppose these experts are just ignoring the fact that their films are always pretty darn great and do pretty darn well.

I'm really glad Pixar exists so that at least one company out there can drive home the fact that the typical Hollywood formula is completely unnecessary. Films can be good, they can ignore the formula, and they can still make money.

I mean, I guess it sucks for Walmart that an action figure of a 78 year old man isn't as cool as a Transformer or something, but if movies can turn a respectable profit without having a huge following of toys... big deal.

I understand that Fast and Furious made a lot of money, even though it's a mindless remake of a mindless action movie. I get that and accept it. But I'm part of a market that will never go and see that movie, but I will go see movies like "Up" anything else that's good.

Truly good movies appeal to everyone. Action isn't my favourite genre, but I really enjoy Die Hard II. (It's one of the best Christmas movies of all time!) I don't enjoy "kid's movies," but I've enjoyed every Pixar movie I've seen (I think Cars may be the only one I've missed so far.)

Unfortunately, good movies are harder to make than formulaic movies. But when Pixar routinely is able to pump out great movies, I think it's time for the rest of Hollywood to sit back and trust them.