Home

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Annoying Facebook Users

Every now and then I'll stumble upon a post or article online that will really speak to me. Considering I use Facebook every day for work, I can completely agree with Brandon Griggs' "The 12 most annoying types of Facebookers". Here are some excerpts:

The Let-Me-Tell-You-Every-Detail-of-My-Day Bore. "I'm waking up." "I had Wheaties for breakfast." "I'm bored at work." "I'm stuck in traffic." You're kidding! How fascinating! No moment is too mundane for some people to broadcast unsolicited to the world. Just because you have 432 Facebook friends doesn't mean we all want to know when you're waiting for the bus.

The Friend-Padder. The average Facebook user has 120 friends on the site. Schmoozers and social butterflies -- you know, the ones who make lifelong pals on the subway -- might reasonably have 300 or 400. But 1,000 "friends?" Unless you're George Clooney or just won the lottery, no one has that many. That's just showing off.

The Sympathy-Baiter. "Barbara is feeling sad today." "Man, am I glad that's over." "Jim could really use some good news about now." Like anglers hunting for fish, these sad sacks cast out their hooks -- baited with vague tales of woe -- in the hopes of landing concerned responses. Genuine bad news is one thing, but these manipulative posts are just pleas for attention.

To read these and nine other accurate statements about Facebook users and the increasing annoyance of some of your online "friends", read the article at CNN.com, ""The 12 most annoying types of Facebookers".