Home

Friday, September 19, 2008

Ahoy and Avast, Me Hearties! Wait ... Why Am I Talking Like a Pirate Today?


So, it would appear as though today (September 19) is "International Talk Like a Pirate Day".

Now, I like pirates as much as the next person. Well, the idea of pirates. Make that, the romanticized idea of pirates as propogated by Disney.

But seriously, who came up with this so-called "holiday", and how did it get to such ridiculous heights?

A bit of research (read: Wikipedia) states that it was started as an inside joke by two guys from Oregon, who then sent a letter about their wacky shenanigans to humour columnist Dave Barry in 2002. Barry liked the idea and decided to promote it, and well, here we are.


Now all the big players are getting in on it -- Google, Facebook, etc. And quite frankly, I am flummoxed. Amused, but flummoxed. Or should I say:

Arrrr, I be flummoxed, t'is true. True as the murky depths of Davey Jones Lockarrrrr.

I guess this proves that no matter how crazy an idea seems, you never know where it will lead (of course, it doesn't hurt your cause to connect with the right influential people who are receptive to your crazy idea).

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time to head back to port ...